Saturday, January 31, 2009

Kid's shows: Imagination Movers

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I grew up watching HR Puff 'n Stuff. If you can't do a little then you can't do enough. Thinking back on that show, I wonder how many points my IQ suffered as my gray matter oozed out my ears. It's equally inane spin-off, Sigmund and the Sea Monsters, also sucked the marrow from my melon. But, oh, I loved 'em. Then.

As a parent now for twenty-one-plus years, I've let my kids watch some equally disturbing stuff. Barney rockets to the top of the list. The Wiggles are way up there, too (though their era was pretty much in the gap between my boys and my girls). The Doodle-Bops come to mind as well. Kids love them as much as I loved HRPnS and SatSM.

The thing that rankles me about those shows as I look back on them is condescension. The producers have the idea that little kids need something bizarre or absurd or cultic or effeminate to capture their attention. I don't think it has to be that way, and a recent bit of Saturday morning fare shows the way.

I love the Imagination Movers. It's four dudes in blue coveralls who work in the Imagination Warehouse. But they are dudes. No compromise apparent San Francisco ties like some y-chromosomes on kids shows. And they have fun cutting up like guys do. They are good friends like guys need. And they play fun music.

Each episode they solve some problem without the excessive condescension in typical fare. No cultic mysticism. It is targeted to younger kids, yes, but as a parent sitting on the periphery, I don't have the need to tote a barf bucket, and I occasionally find myself sitting beside them enjoying the delight of my kids and the delight of the musicians.

Understand this. It's secular television. Christ is nowhere named. At the same time, I would not be surprised if these four guys are Christian because the things lauded and praised are things that honor God. It wouldn't seem out of place to have them break into prayer in the middle of an episode to ask God help them solve some predicament. They exemplify the fruit of the Spirit.

Two thumbs up to Rich, Scott, Dave, and Smitty for cranking out Kids TV that I don't have to be embarrassed letting my children watch. Or watching myself.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Savannah LOVES "the moofers".