Monday, January 12, 2009

Dick Cheney, Part II

This one's not about the VP. It's about his name.

Do you know anyone under the age of, oh, sixty named "Dick?" That's too bad. No, it's tragic. Our culture has slimed a great name. Dick Van Dyke! Dick Tracy (I always loved his last name). Dick Van Patten (sorry, that's a bit on the girlie-side). Dick Sergeant (can you name his series without a Google search?). "Moby Dick," a classic, they say. Dick Butkus (I wonder how many broken noses he gave before dudes shut their traps). Dick Clark. I suspect in our life time we'll not hear of another Tom, Dick or Harry named "Dick." That's sad.

I remember a guy I worked with whose last name was "Gray." Except it really wasn't "Gray." It was "Gay." He had tired of the disgusting humor because of his last name and didn't want his children to have to bear that. And so he changed his name. His family's name. No more "Gay." I couldn't even find the name "Gay" for boys or girls on "Wikiname." But what about Gay Brewer. Gay Talese. The Enola Gay. The "Gay Nineties." Oh, to be gay of heart. No more. That's sad.

I hate to hear what "Keith" has become synonomous with in fifty years. And your opinions don't count!

No comments: