Sunday, May 18, 2008

It made me smile

In light of the recent release of Prince Caspian, Frederica Matthewes-Green gives us a glimpse of movies that bettered their original book in her recent National Review article. Her closing paragraph brought a smile to my face.
It’s entertaining to think of movies that excel their sources, if only because they aren’t that common. Most of the time, the book is better than the movie, if only because greater length allows for greater depth. That depth doesn’t always happen; sometimes there’s more potential than the author explored, as with Prince Caspian. But the names of movies that came nowhere near the achievement of the book are too numerous to list. I’ll close with just one example: The Greatest Story Ever Told.
What movies do you think excelled the book?
Image from Buena Vista Pictures

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jurassic Park. By lightyears.

And I must say, The Ten Commandments is pretty impressive. I'm almost afraid I'm about to be struck down, but actually seeing some 2 million folks on celluloid is a lot more impressive than just reading about it.

-JP