Saturday, May 17, 2008

Art: Living out what you believe

Robert Rauschenberg's "Monogram"
(perhaps a better angle on the photograph would better help me comprehend it)

The linked article is an exclamation point to those who are going through Francis Schaeffer's "How Should We Then Live?" video series with me. In this elegy to Robert Rauschenberg, Robert Knight laments the artist's impact on modern art. Actually, Rauschenberg's just continuing in art what began with Picasso, Munch, and Duchamp.
"Very little of modern art would be worth anything without the critics (and sometimes the artists) explaining why we are supposed to appreciate it."

Knight's paraphrase of a Tom Wolfe quote
It's only, ever, and always an overflow of what's going on inside the heart. Looking at some of his art, that's a scary thought.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I think that is the ugliest stuffed goat I've ever seen...but I can appreciate rectangles. What does this say about his heart? Hmmm... I could throw a bucket of green acrylic paint at a canvas and call it *ahem* "phlegm" (in lowercase, because it's more dramatic that way.) I think people are drawn by repulsive titles and appearances. I should be an artist!!! Hahaha!Perhaps I've missed my calling...

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't count on any angle creating a better comprehension of this mess.

Is it bad that this scares me more than Heath Ledger's Joker?

-JP