Monday, October 13, 2008

Just another day: Columbus Day

The action in the world around us is moving faster than during a hockey game. Most folks can't follow the puck, and fewer folks know the rules.
  • Christian genocide: It's a big and overused word, but when persecution of a people group moves to execution and the world's civil rights groups remain mum, I think genocide is legit. Seems Christ-followers are either purposefully being picked off in the town of Kazraj, Iraq or they don't know how to get out of the way of random bullets. 13 lost their lives in the past two weeks. And the world's civil right's groups remain mum. Many thanks to CNN for at least reporting the story (here).

  • Gas prices plummet: Call me a glass-half-empty kind of guy, but the fact that gas prices have dropped a dollar in a month roils my gut. Granted, oil prices had no business being as high as they were. They were artificially inflated. The market ricocheting faster than a bullet off a brick wall bodes ill for the free market. Such instability creates great insecurity among the nations, and they will look to impose stabilization (as they already have here). This would be the perfect time for a man with the savvy to handle economic turmoil to step in and steady the scene.

  • Hey, I have an idea. Why not do away with money all together! Our personal wealth could be stored in a governmental data base. That way nobody would get hammered by outrageous interest. The government would oversee our money. And if we wanted to buy our sell, all we would need to do is flash our government ID. And, hey!--considering many people lose ID cards, what if it were permanently affixed to our body, kind of like those GPS chips they give to dogs. Hey! What if...

  • The Steel Eel. I'm hoping to go to Sea World at the end of the month. My thirteen-year old has already signed my up for the Steel Eel and other horrific up-and-downers at the park. Actually, after watching the stock market and seeing 30% of my retirement account vanish like the magicians cards, the Steel Eel will seem tame.

  • Debates: Did anyone learn anything new from any of the debates? Anyone? Bueller? Debates only serve to provide each candidate the opportunity to shoot themselves in the foot on national television. The honored tradition of political debate has become nothing more than a grisly episode of Fear Factor.

  • Come and see. Despite the darkness and turmoil in the world around us, a beacon still shines like the lighthouse out of the storm. God will set all things right, and before that takes place, God himself has made the way for us to be right with him. Our church this past Sunday had a service that honored God by showing to all what He had done in the lives of many in our congregation. While you cannot see what took place (we don't video, yet), I stumbled across Mike Adams' column today where he recounts what Christ did in his life and the life of a friend (here). Be encouraged.

  • Prayer and fasting. I intend to pray and fast at some point before the election on behalf of our nation. Much is at stake for our nation's future. Will you join me? After the polls close Tuesday night, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation whether my spirits are soaring or my heart is crushed, and I will begin to pray fervently for my new president.

  • Tremors: Anybody noticed the earthquakes in odd locations? We had a 6.1 in Bolivia this morning and a 6.1 in the Caribbean on Saturday. And the earth continues to tremble...
God's peace, my friends!

No comments: