Sunday, February 22, 2009

The demise of moderate Islam

Let's see, we're over two weeks removed from the ritual beheading of a beautiful Islamic woman at the hands of her husband, and only now does a story surface on how Muslims are handling this PR crisis in America. That's the story. No visceral condemnation.

Eric Gorski in his AP article stated, "At least nine mosques, imams and Islamic organizations also agreed to denounce domestic violence at the behest of a coalition of Muslims that organized after (her) death." Oooh. That's bold. Denounce domestic violence. And only after a healthy prodding. Gorski's article asks some hard questions that many news outlets won't ask (read it, here).

Mark Steyn, ever with the watchful eye on Islam's spread, notes the shriveling of the moderate fraction of Islam in his recent National Review column (another tight, cogent read, here). In it, he provides more detail on the Islamic thuggery behind Geert Wilders ban from Britain.

I am not an Islamic bigot. If I see a Muslim, I don't itch to bead him before my 9mm. They, like me, are created in God's image. I have a Muslim in my neighborhood who seems to be a dandy neighbor. Many Muslims, a not insignificant percentage, would like to see the planet rid of folks like me. That cannot be ignored.

Until the cry goes out from within Islam against the losers who blow buildings, slaughter civilians, and behead their brides, we must be vigilant against this growing strain that seeks not only the demise of innocents but also the demise of civilizations. Our civilization.

Until the cry goes out, profile! Profile at the airports, profile at the mosques, profile at the Islamic charter schools that refuse to fly the American flag and that receive the preponderance of their funding from Riyadh. My grandma has heart medicine in her ditty bag, not C4. The kid your wanding has a PSP and some jerky in his backpack and not plastique.

Were I an Islamic man with the swarthy complexion of a Fertile Crescent native, I would be the loudest in the paper decrying the butcheries. I would be on local radio and TV stations explaining the peaceful nature of my purported religion of peace. I'd be screaming it from the housetops, and at the same time, I would be pleading with the police to profile any who looked like me to root the demons out of their dens.

Instead, we get a group trying to figure out how to repair its public image. They might start by cleaning house.

No comments: