Monday, January 7, 2008

A Humane Death Penalty?

In keeping with the oxymoronic theme of late, I couldn't help but double-take a reference to an upcoming case before the Supreme Court (SCOTUS). At issue is a case regarding Kentucky's means of execution, 3-chemical lethal injection. The consternation? Pain-free execution, humanely terminating our nation's worst criminals in a manner that exudes tender loving care.

I'm not advocating drawing and quartering. I'm not recommending Mel Gibson's version of William Wallace's demise. Neither do I think that we should institute crucifixion, but when did it become necessary that execution become no different than taking a nap? I have to nod to Justice Antonin Scalia's query, "Is that somewhere in the Constitution?"

This issue ranks right up there with abortion on its ability to divide the most cohesive of groups, but that is why it is vital for us to understand of what we speak concerning capital punishment.

I won't go exhaustive or I'll put you to sleep at your keyboard. I'll get you started but you'll have to go the rest of the way yourself. Or maybe I'll ramble more later.

First, anchor yourself in Genesis 9:5-6. "And for your lifeblood I will require a reckoning: from every beast I will require it and from man. From his fellow man I will require a reckoning for the life of man. "Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image."" God handed this down to humanity. The Mosaic covenant is not involved here. Because God created man in His image, man has an inherent sacredness. To willfully and wantonly take a human life, such a one has trod upon the image of God, and at God's direction, that one's life is forfeit at the hand of man.

Notice that it is not intended as a deterrent for society. It is punitive against the one who destroys the on created in God's image.

Will the executioner not be guilty of violating Genesis 9? Good question, and it takes us to the second point. The implementation and understanding of Genesis 9 speaks of man general and not man specific. It is the difference between vengeance (God's prerogative) and civil justice (delegated to man). That is the understanding of Romans 13:4, "For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer."

This should raise a thousand yeah-but's and what-if's, but our foundation must start in Genesis 9 (Genesis 1, really), and flow through the entirety of God's word...in context...picking up Romans 13 along the way. Biblically, the issue was not a painless (humane?) execution, but ensuring man had a proper understanding of the importance of human life.

As SCOTUS addresses Kentucky's case, I pray that we would be wise and informed about how justice is administered in our land.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Keith,
As always, I am fascinated by your perspective on things. :) I just caught up on your posts, and the issues that jump out to you in the news tend to be things I just gloss over without giving much thought to. I need to look closer, though. I'm glad I can tap into your thoughts via blog now. :)
Would you mind if I added a link to this site on my blog?