Friday, December 5, 2008

Indictment at Wal-Mart

I missed Black Friday. I was tucked away, all snug in my bed. I will be next year, too. And the year after that. I ventured out during one BF a few years back. A living nightmare. Not worth it for the ten dollars saved.

What happened at the Long Island Wal-Mart one week ago, customers (people) stampeding a part-time employee to death, provides ample impetus on many levels for staying under the covers.

The other night on the docket at Bill O'Reilly's night court, two of his Barbie-doll talking heads pitched their two cents into the opinion bowl about what the legal outcome of this travesty should be. Here were the possibilities that zorched through my mind before they opined:

a) The store worker stood foolishly before the throng. It's his fault

b) Wal-Mart should have expected such a push at store opening and either hired more security or come up with some plan to prevent the crashing wave of humanity.

c) Society in general holds the blame for making such a big deal out of Black Friday

d) The folks that trampled the man to death for a TV should be charged with manslaughter.

How do you think Bill's lady lawyers leaned? B. They believed the courts would hang Wal-Mart.

I tried to shake the cobwebs from my mind thinking I'd started to drift into the realm just shy of sleep where things melt into bizarre. Nope. Still wide awake, and that's what they were saying. Wal-Mart should have seen this coming.

Like McDonald's should have predicted 350 lb. Americans? Like Smith & Wesson should have predicted Jesse James? Like God should have predicted Ted Bundy?

No pulse to be found in civility. The expectations for personal responsibility in the public arena? Dead.

The cops should be hanging "Wanted" posters with photos from the security cams of every person in that mass who walked over or pushed past the man being stomped to death. Everyone should be charged with manslaughter.

Furthermore, each of those folks should have to pay Wal-Mart for damages to its property and for the soiling of its community image for the barbarity that occurred on their premises.

I am responsible for my actions. Not my Mom & Dad. Not my kids, not my bride. Not my boss & not my neighbor. Not chocolate, coffee or Big Macs. Me. Hold me accountable for my actions. It's biblical. It's American.

But no. We bailout banks that squander money. We toss cash at car companies that cave to crazy union demands. Some even want us to apologize to the Middle East and the world for 9-11. Nuts!

Law standing on its head and society laughing at the comedy. Yikes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The more things fall apart, the more I have to wonder, are we really that far from the entire national infrastructure just caving in on itself? Doesn't really seem like we have anything solid left to stand on. We walked away from God, and now we've spent our legacy. Am I wrong in thinking America's down by 17 late in the fourth quarter?

-JP

Keith Pond said...

I don't think the game is going that well. Did you see the Oklahoma/Texas Tech game? How about Tennessee/Detroit (NFL) on Thanksgiving Day? The opening verses of 2 Timothy 3 stand in judgment of our nation today.