Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Blackbelt Christianity

I stumbled upon this article during my morning surf. It's a good Christmas read.

After reading it, I thought of a good friend, a liberal friend, who believes himself to be a Christian, and I forwarded him the article.

The author is a staunch political conservative (on all issues).

And this is a truth you will find: If you take the Bible at its word, if you don't read between the lines and you don't twist and contort the text well outside the realm of context, there's close to a 90% chance your political understandings are conservative as well. No, it's not a Gallup Poll stat. It's a Keith's-not-so-scientific-observations stat.

Considering we are two days out from Christmas, I decided on a little experiment. Off to my usual wellspring of conservative thought, Townhall.com. I found two articles today with religious undertones, one on Hanukkah and one on Christmas. The day before, another three to four were found.

Then I made a sharp turn to the left and sauntered over to the Huffington Post. No articles on Christ or Christmas today. Plenty on Rick Warren (one actually positive). Oh, and there was a sexy shot of a bare-chested president-elect while in Hawaii.

I could not find a link to check out yesterday's articles, so I did a search. This provided some articles on Christmas, but they were exclusively about money, presents, the environment...the here and now and what's coming in the future. Not one peek into the manger. Not one article about what God-in-flesh then means for man-in-sin today.

For folks like the Towhall author, Christ and His advent aren't just another part of their lives. He doesn't divorce golf from God. His work comes under the authority of One who is Wonderful, Counselor. Christ, the Creator, is the foundation for all that we are supposed to be; He is to inform every aspect of my life. That's not something you find from the writers and thinkers of the Huffington Post.

I asked my friend to send me the link to such articles if he comes across them. I'll let you know.

And so I appreciate Chuck for having the courage to go against the grain of his industry, giving them a roundhouse kick upside the head to awaken them about the Child who has come and the King who is coming.

No comments: