Monday, December 22, 2008

Green

The color of the Grinch.

The color of envy.

In traffic, 'tis the color that makes my heart sing. I'd rather not see red.

The color of money.

The color of the grass and the trees.

Ah, 'tis the color of my bride's mesmerizing eyes.

The Packer's jerseys.

The uniforms of the team formerly known as the North Stars.

Mmmm, cilantro, that wonderful herb found in TexMex cooking.

Green. All green.

Really, I've had no beef with green. The co-opting of a rather fine color by the likes of Greenpeace caused my no lost sleep. The fact that it's the color of Islam never bothered me too awful much, either.

Green now sends chills down my spine like some surreal and demonic nightmare. The enviro-apocalyptics have demanded that the planet's population bow to their "sky-is-falling" scree and the color to trumpet their caustic cause -- green.

I tolerated "The Day After Tomorrow." Enjoyable escapism if you ignore the propaganda. Now every movie where the earth future is at stake, dollars to donuts you can rest the blame squarely on the shoulders on the industrial world (read: America). Note Shyamalan's bomb "The Happening" and the current remake of the cult-classic "The Day the Earth Stood Still."

I've simply ignored Oregon and Vermont and pretty much anyone wearing Birkenstocks. But when Anderson Cooper pronounces "The Planet in Peril" and that I MUST alter my lifestyle to prevent California from sliding into the Pacific, I draw the line. CNN called attention to its conviction that man has the power to adjust the earth's thermostat by transforming their red logo enviro-friendly green. "We care!" they declare.

When that happened, I wasn't surprised. I would change the channel but that would presume I watched CNN (okay, sometimes a perverse, rubber-necking curiousity gets the better of me and I'll tune in...but I quickly repent). I just about spewed my spleen when I saw that Fox News had buckled to the enviro-pressure.

God called us to steward and manage HIS creation. That's plain. It's interesting to see how God created within the planet a "healing" mechanism similar to man's immune system. A volcano belches and cloud, wind, and rain sweep the pollutants away. Like the area around Mount St. Helen's, flora and fauna teem like nothing happened. How arrogant to think that we can break God's earth.

It tickled my ribs when recently a chief meteorologist at the Weather Channel declared man-made global warming and enviro-insanity to be an utter fabrication. The earth is merely working through a temperature swing the likes of which it has swung through for millenia.

Green logos will continue to get my goat. I have little green remaining in my IRAs to bring me pleasure. Guess I'll turn to the green of the Grinch and of our Christmas tree. 'Tis the season, afterall.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Just a few things:
Mmmm...cilantro.
The Grinch (non-creepy, cartoon version) is on tonight on ABC.
If Cali slid off into the ocean, would it really be so bad??