Monday, June 30, 2008

Fool me once

The saw goes:
Fool me once
Shame on you.
Fool me twice
Shame on me.

I had to think of it as I read this article from CNN today. The gist: painting 3-D blocks on the roadway will get motorists to slow down. The article includes this AP photo:

Now, I can see being startled by this the first time I came across it on the street, but I'd rival Nemo's friend Dory if I were startled by it the second, third and fourth time. You might fall for the "can of nuts" once, but when those coiled snakes spring from the can, the spoof is etched into your memory (and perhaps your shorts).

Does it say something about our government that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration thinks this will slow folks down beyond the first or second time across? After a week it becomes dirty paint in the street.

Who knows, there may be a few Dories out there who'd get a kick out of it every time they'd drive past.

No comments: