Saturday, January 23, 2010

Waking up

What's the best part of a nightmare?  Waking up.  No question.

Some of them fade as soon as you realize they were some bizarre figment of whatever part of your mind sets those things off in the first place.  Others linger.  Your heart pounds, and you try to catch your breath.  You can't focus around the room.  Your mind grasps that the images of moments ago were not real, but like cobwebs stuck to your face, you cannot rid yourself of them.


When tragedy visits you, real tragedy, you wake in the middle of the night hoping that the memories will fade like a nightmare.  As the sobriety of consciousness settles in, the images do not fade.  No, it's not necessarily the terror of a nightmare.  It's an absolute grief over a reality that cannot be changed.

In the dark.

We all know someone who has had to endure such waking moments.  Over time, the grief is perhaps not as stark, but with open eyes and a determined will, you get out of bed knowing that that which consumes your thought is not a dream.

A few days ago, a local sportswriter noted that there was a victim to a local tragedy that did not get a lot of press (here).  A guy who received no pleas for prayer.  The guy?  The cause of the accident.

Let me stop for a minute and focus on that last word, accident.  Terri Otto's death was an accident.  You or I could have been behind the wheel of the truck on that dark, foggy, drizzly morning.  He was.  No alcohol.  No drugs.  I don't think he was texting or on his cell phone at 6 a.m.  Just a guy going to work.  An accident in the purest sense of the word.

I don't know his name, but put yourself in his shoes for a moment.  Imagine if every time you turned around in the press you heard about what an extraordinary, God-annointed, God-appointed woman Terri was (here, in case you missed it).  And you were behind the wheel of the vehicle that robbed her husband and children of her tender presence.  Imagine.  Any idea what mornings would be like?  Ponder the utter silence that abounds at 2 a.m.

Few can.  I can't.  And so I pray.  Nothing in life could heal such a wound.  I can't.  You can't, either.  800 packing a church can't.  But there is One who can.  God saw fit within his Law to Israel to provide a place where folks could go who caused accidental deaths, a place where they would be free from prosecution.  This man will not be prosecuted.  He shouldn't be.  But the accuser of men, Satan, will attempt to torment this man to his destruction.  Jesus Christ came that man might have life to the full.  That includes the truck's driver.

Please pray that this man would cast his burdens upon the One, Jesus Christ, who aches to carry his burdens.  Pray that one day in the future he might rise to a day with a smile at the corner of his mouth instead of anguish tarnishing his heart.

Please, please pray for him.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great post. We all have recieved such great compassion and love from the Lord and it was unmerited. Why is it we have a hard time giving it back out - even to someone who is innocent? I also pray for this wounded man.
Lord, heal what we can not. Please write yet another of your beautiful sonnets. Weave another of your great stories. Father pour your oil over him. We love you Lord because you first loved us. Teach us compassion and put truth deep in our hearts.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for opening my eyes to see the need. By grace alone can this hope be found. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post. Right after I heard about the accident I wondered how the person behind the wheel was doing ? I never heard anything about him or her but i did pray for them. I do hope they see this post by you and know they are also being prayed for.

Anonymous said...

I forwarded the link to the post to a family member of the man driving the truck. I know your words will mean so much to them, Keith. Let's all keep praying...

family21 said...

Where to start... "Thank You"! I am the daughter of the driver to the truck. The Christian family has been his biggest support right now. He wakes up all the time crying for Terri! He dosen't have the need to live any more. My mom is scared for his mental health right now. He has stated that he dosen't want to live anymore! It scares us that he might fall off and do something when no one is around. A LOT of Terri's friends have reached out to my dad and gone by my sisters to pray with him,but yet he feels for her family,her kids...that BREAKS his heart. See he has me and my sister and he thinks of someone taking us and how our kids would be! He can't grasp that it was an accident. He feels that all hate him and no matter what we say it dosen't take away his pain. BREIFLY we had someone taken from us 2 yrs ago but by a hit and run!! My dad was with us and felt our pain! As a 33 yr old woman I have felt anger for this person who took my loved one! I couldn't forgive even though I knew I was upsetting God by my selfish actions! It was just too hard, now God has put me to the test. I see and for 2 yrs I have felt HATE, ANGER,DEPRESSION,and STRESS!! Now that this has happened I pray that God gives me the strength and will hold my burdens,because I'm strong enough now to admit "I CAN'T"! See my dads only way of knowing people are praying for him is thru me! He is shy to the English language, computers,and anything modern savey! From our family words can never THANK you all enough for what you are doing for my dad! I'm not in the same town,but do plan to be there this weekend to help my dad find a church and a second family to lean on! Thank you for your kind words and the fact that as her friend you are forgiving! PLEASE continue to pray for us as we so need it right now! Once again "Thank you" from the bottom of my heart! God Bless

Anonymous said...

It would be nice if my mother and father- Terri's MOTHER and FATHER could see this.

Anonymous said...

Please let him know that Jesus loves him and there is no blame. He was the instument of God's will for a reason only God knows.

Anonymous said...

When we all first heard about Tat's accident, we only focused on our hurt, our loss, our grief...I admit I didn't think much about the driver, it was me, me, me and what I had lost. But he has lost, too, and we should all remember him in our prayers. This especially to his daughter who commented here and told us about him, please know that many of us who are grieving for Terri are also grieving for your dad, too and praying for all of you.

Anonymous said...

I would also like to say to the daughter of this man, we ARE praying for him. Terri would not blame him and we don't either. It was a horrible accident... just that, an accident. We are praying for healing and peace for all involved.