Thursday, January 21, 2010

Terri

A wretched experience.  In a tick of the clock everything changes.  The oxygen is sucked from the room.  Everything on your plate gets swept into the trash and the plate shatters against the concrete.


Saturday morning, my bride sat reading God's word while I prepped some homemade waffles.  Just enjoying the quiet of the morning before the kids rousted looking for their gridded goodness.  The quiet broke when she received a call from a network of friends to pray for a woman who had been in a bad accident while running.  Her name, Terri Otto.  Terri and her husband, Dave, are good friends. 

I immediately began to dress to run to the hospital and be with Dave.  My son stumbled from his bedroom saying that he received a call from the wife of a co-worker of mine saying Dave had been trying to get in touch with me.  I remembered that my phone had been sitting on my night stand. 

I rushed to the bedroom to learn I'd missed two calls from Dave that morning.  I hit the call back.  An unfamiliar woman's voice answered.   Sobbing.  "We're all praying right now.  Terri just died."

Tick.  Crash!

That was five days ago.  Many of you know the rest of the story.  Many of you don't.  Perhaps I'll tell it another time.  My point here is to provide a consolidated location about what's been written and broadcast about a woman who loved her God and was used mightily by him.  She honored him in life.  And in her death, at her memorial, God was greatly honored, too.  To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord.  We ache the absence and rejoice in expectant hope at seeing her one day again before the throne of God.

Here are a few links in sequence:

Sunday - Newpaper on the accident:  here
Sunday - TV news coverage of the accident:  here

Moday - TV news on memorial donations:  here

Tuesday - Obituary:  here

Wednesday - Newspaper on the impact of her life:  here
**NEW** 
Wednesday - Audio from the memorial servicehere
Wednesday - TV news piece on the memorial service:  transcript or video

Funeral home tributes:  here
Funeral home obituary:  here

--------------------

Terri was passionate about her work with the Pregancy Help Center in Wichita Falls.  Dave has asked that if you would like to donate a memorial on behalf of Terri to do that to the Pregancy Help Center in her name or to the Air Warrior Courage Foundation on behalf of the children's education.  Follow the links below.

9 comments:

David Otto said...

Keith,
I don't have the words.

Right now, it is Thank You.

Anonymous said...

Keith,
Thank you for consolidating all this. I have been trying to stay connected to the events of the last five days but being 10,000 miles away presents challenges. This makes me feel a little less detached. And as Otter said, THANK YOU for all you are doing to support him and his kids. God's blessings. Chekov

Anonymous said...

I have been sitting here for 2 hrs. reading your blog about Terri. Thank you for sharing.

Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Absolutely amazing.....just like our Jesus ~ Absolutely beautiful.....just like Terri ~ Amen.

Margie Ann said...

Absolutely amazing.....just like our Jesus ~ Absolutely beautiful....just like Terri ~Amen.

Marty said...

Keith, THANK YOU!

My experience is similar. Poor Dave had to tell Terri's sister that she was dead. I look back on it and think-GOD- I should have been more supportive of Dave at that very moment, but I dropped and had the sensation of half of my body separating from me. My son, Jack 3, was very upset at watching his mother completely coming undone- my husband the same. I finally got up and looked out the kitchen window and thought of all the games we used to play-hanging upside down off our bed and looking at our faces upside down and laughing for hours. I flashed to Thanksgiving, the last time I saw her, and remembered her looking more beautiful than I had ever remembered. She and I have a SPECIAL bond that no other can know. I MISS HER! I want to say-it will all be okay, time heals the heart, blah,blah, blah- not today I don't feel it. I hear her saying to me take care of your self and our family and that's what I plan to do! I apologize for the rambling- I do not have the gift of being eloquent with speech or writing as my sister did. She was and is truly amazing and always has been!!!

Unknown said...

I too am at a loss for words. I try to type something that will bring meaning to this, but keep hitting the backspace. I am in Italy and just lost our Commander in a car accident the day before Terri died. I am doing all I can to assist his family. I wish I could be there to help you as well Otter. We grieve for you and wish you peace. God Bless, Diggler

McGaha's said...

Keith,
Dave is lucky to have you as a friend...I am lucky to have Dave and Terri as friends. Thank you for righting this and giving us one place to find the info we desire. I miss Terri...today was a hard day. But tonight I got to see Matti and Nathan...My heart smiled. Thanks again

Unknown said...

Time continues to tick on by as the author of this blog mentioned in his introduction. But as I sit here listening to the clock nearby, I am reminded of the fact that no matter how much time goes by, the place that Terri has in my heart will always be there.
I have some regrets. I regret not staying in touch with her more after she moved, for not giving her the card I wrote about how much she meant to me, because in rereading it, it seemed too mushy. (Oh how I wish I had given it to her!) Aren't there always some regrets?
The card she gave me when she moved from Alaska...I kept it for a long time. Now, where is it? WHERE IS IT? She said she was glad that she didn't have to say goodbye in person (I was out of town) because that's one less cry she'd have to cry. But she made sure there was a card waiting for me when I returned. That's Terri.
I am so comforted knowing she is with our Savior. I am so not comfortable with the fact that her husband and children do not have her here, now. However, I am in one of those ripples touched by Terri. And I am so grateful that she was a part of my life. I loved serving on the MOPS steering team with her while the Ottos lived in Alaska. What a rich time.
I continue to lift her family up in prayer, that they would be held in the righteous right hand of our Creator. That they will be comforted, given strength to press through each day, and feel the love of Jesus as he walks with them through this valley.