Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Hospice-tality

As my bus crossed the interestate and entered the Madison city limits, I called my mom to let her know I'd soon be arriving at the station. She told me that my grandmother had, just moments prior to my call, breathed her last.

When I arrived at hospice, they had prepared my grandmother's body for the journey to the funeral home. They had cleaned her up, tucked a teddy bear under her arm and rested a bouquet of flowers in her hands upon her breast.

When the funeral director arrived, the family followed him out as he wheeled my grandmother's home for 96 years to the awaiting car. A hospice volunteer led the procession down the long hallway leading us also in "Amazing Grace." Upon passing each workstation, all of the hospice workers rose to pay silent respect to the deceased and to the family. It nearly buckled my knees.

I praise God for how He has instilled such love and ministry to those who work in hospice and funeral ministries. They are a rare breed.

No comments: