Thursday, February 24, 2011

Praying pastors

This is not a posed picture. It's a shot by a man who stumbled upon his pastor unawares.

"Contending" by Andrew Pond
As with most good pictures, drinking deep the images conveys what words cannot. I'll not describe it for you, but I'd like to share a few things that it drew from my soul.

How richly blessed are the people who have a praying pastor! Many a religious man will say "I'll pray for you." Scanty are the men who will wake when the sun comes level through the window or before it's broken the horizon to fall before the throne of grace and plead for his family, plead for his people, and worship the One who has lavished love upon his life.

On the flip-side, how poor the people whose pastor is not a man of prayer. There is comfort knowing that your pastor cares about you so much to intercede on your behalf. The relationship with your pastor deepens in that knowledge. Who is the charlatan who tries to lead the people God has entrusted to him if he does not spend time, much time, in the tent of his Commander? Such a one moves at his own whim. He leads from the places of his heart. What of God? What care does he have for his people if he will not lead where the King desires him to go?

If you have a praying pastor, give great praise to God.

And now for the hard part. How rich the pastor whose people pray daily and fervently for him! Paul ached to know that his churches prayed for him.
  • To the church in Rome - I urge you, brothers and sisters, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me. (Romans 15:31)
  • To the church in Corinth - On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, 11 as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many. (2 Corinthians 1:10b-11)
  • To the church in Ephesus - Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should. (Ephesians 6:19-20)
  • To the church in Colosse - And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. 4 Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. (Colossians 4:3-4)
And very simply to the church at Thessalonica:
    Brothers and sisters, pray for us. (1 Thessalonians 5:25)
[Take a moment and search the word "pray" in the letters of God's word (done for you here). Read the passages in context.  Truly amazing how fervent Paul was in prayer for his people, and how he pleaded with them to be the same.]

On the flip-side of this coin, how bereft the pastor whose people do not lift his arms in prayer. I doubt that Satan and demons attack the church in any single location with more intensity than at the point of the pastor and his family. Why would we not shore up those defenses? Why would we not amass our forces to stand between our pastor and the darkness? Do we not understand the devastation to the body that ensues when the pastor is corrupted?

Pastor, if you're praying for your people, keep on! The victory is so very near.  If not, get into the tent of your commander, please.  Now.

People, are you defending the man of God who leads your church? If so, keep on! Enlist more to join you in the fight. Learn about areas where the lines must be reinforced and fire concerted prayer into those areas to the Commander of the hosts. If you are not in prayer, why not? How can a soldier not fight? Pick up your musket and march to the line to defend the man who leads with courage. For the glory of God alone.

A praying pastor. A praying people. In these last days, these are the people that we must be.

Thanks, Drew for such a picture of such a man!

1 comment:

Hutch said...

Keith,
I am encouraged that you would write about prayer as my prayer life and its effect on those around me has been the focus of my walk with God these last few months. I am sad I have not spent as much time in prayer as I could have. The Creator of the universe wants to hear from me. He will not only will take the time to listen but will act on my behalf and I have largely ignored Him. How ignorant and selfish of me. I only hope to make prayer a priority for the rest of my life.