Monday, February 14, 2011

Popcorn

No political critiques today. No venting over the sludge oozing from Hollywood studios. No biblical admonitions.  Just a recipe.

My family loves Turner Classic Movies. Last night, my bride, my youngest son, and I enjoyed 7 Brides for 7 Brothers. Not an objectionable scene in the flick. What's a movie without popcorn? So I went and made some.

You want some great tasting, low-cal, good-for-you popcorn?  Try this:
  • Put 1/3 cup of popcorn (unpopped; I know that's obvious, but it's the government worker in me) into a paper lunch bag, the kind you may have used in elementary school when kids still took their own lunches.  Leave the bag in it's folded state; don't fluff it out. 
  • After tossing in the 1/3 cup of popcorn, fold the top over twice and put in two staples (they'll spark a bit but don't worry about it). 
  • Toss the bag into the microwave and hit the "Popcorn" setting (or three minutes on high). DON'T LEAVE THE ROOM (that's another prod from the government that thinks you're an idiot)!! 
  • When the pops slow to one or two every five seconds, stop the microwave.
  • Dole out into bowls and sprinkle liberally with freshly grated parmesan cheese (or the like).
  • Salt to taste!
Fun. Cheap. Tastes great. Good for you. What's not to like?

And now, back to the movie.

No comments: