Monday, February 8, 2010

The Look

Many are familiar with John Newton, a slave trader whose life changed from darkness to light when he met Jesus Christ and became confronted by the wretchedness of his own life.  Most know him through his most famous poem, a lyric we sing as Amazing Grace.

I did not realize Mr. Newton penned other poems as well.  Tonight, for the first time, I heard The Look.  Here it is.

THE LOOK
In evil long I took delight
Unawed by shame or fear;
Till a new object struck my sight
And stopped my wild career.
I saw One hanging on a tree
In agonies and blood;
Who fixed His languid eyes on me
As near His cross I stood.

Sure never till my latest breath
Can I foget that look;
It seemed to charge me with His death
Though not a word He spoke.
My conscience felt and owned the guilt
And plunged me in despair;
I saw my sins His blood had spilt
And helped to nail Him there.

Alas, I knew not what I did
But now my tears are vain;
Where shall my trembling soul be hid?
For I the Lord have slain.
A second look He gave which said
"I freely all forgive;
This blood is for thy ransom paid
I died that thou mayest live."

Thus while His death my sin displays
In all its blackest hue;
Such is the mystery of grace,
It seals my pardon too.
With pleasing grief and mournful joy
My spirit now is filled;
That I should such a life destroy
Yet live by Him I killed.

Wow.  "Yet live by Him I killed."  Oh, my.  Grace.  Amazing grace.

No comments: