Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A & W

Windsor Golf Course is a nice little 27-hole track nestled just north of Madison, Wisconsin along I-90/94. For a duffer and his son, there couldn't have been a finer venue for 18-holes. Temperature in the mid-70's and nary a breeze. Fairways looking sweet with the rough cut fairly, a few sand traps and water hazards, and the recipe was perfect.

At the close of our round earlier in the week at a course on the south side of town, Austin and I continued to savor the round over Cokes and candybars in the clubhouse. Today, I had a better plan. Situated on the northeast corner of the intersection of I-90/94 and State Rd 19 (Exit 131) is an A & W Rootbeer stand. As I pulled in, I giggled and got an odd look from my son.

As a kid, Dad & Mom would take Jeff and I to an A & W drive-in not far from our home in Minnesota. Nothing tasted so good as a Mama burger with cheese and diced onions tumbling out the side washed down by A & W Rootbeer on tap! A real glass mug chilled just enough to keep the rootbeer icy but not cold enough to ice it up.

The hamburgers were decent, the fries quite good, but--oh--the rootbeer was better than I remember it. It tasted nothing like the stuff that comes out of the bottle. It was thicker, creamier and, like no other carbonated beverage, able to quench an 18-hole thirst.

Most of my family bleeds Dr. Pepper, but you'll find my heart deep in a frosty mug.
------------------------
Trivial Pursuit: A & W gets its name from Roy Allen and Frank Wright the partners who started the rootbeer business in Lodi, California in 1919.

2 comments:

David and Kristi Flinck said...

Oh, what I wouldn't give for 18 and a tall frosty A&W. Unfortunately, root beer is rare here in Chile. I will definitely make runs to the grocery store for A&W while on furlough.

Jennifer said...

Brian and I are completely HOOKED on A&W...the diet version, but it is SO good! Nothing better than that poured over Blue Bell Homemade vanilla ice cream...Mmmmmm