Thursday, July 23, 2009

QotD: Harry Potter

Oooh. This should generate some love.

Full disclosure: Haven't seen movie one of the HP phenomenon. I've seen the books but haven't read them. Does that count?

Anyway, I came across this quote from a NY Post opinion piece on Harry Potter's creator, J.K. Rowling. Thought it insightful and against the flow.

"Is there any children's writer more dismissive of morals? A Rowling kid starts learning at an early age that principles are adjustable depending on convenience."
The writer then goes on to describe how Harry cheats out of his textbook in the most recent movie to solve the film's ultimate mystery.

Others have claimed that HP paints a very clear and distinct moral picture. So which is it? Is Rowling's universe adaptable to the situation or is there white and black, good and evil?

The entire article is an intriguing read. You'll find it here.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Mr. Pond,

First, if you have not read the books then how can you be sure that the sources you are quoting are accurate? I invite you to pick up a Potter book and determine for yourself its quality. That is what I did a few years ago to see what the fuss was all about. I was surprised. J. K. Rowling tells a very good story. There are obvious good guys and bad guys, but she does not shy away from showing the human side of the heroes. I am not arguing that it is on the level of Charles Dickens or Jane Austen; only time will see if the Potter series will last over time. However, I consider the Harry Potter series to be fairly well written (especially the last few books) and to have good morals. Don't just go see the movies, (they are not that good) pick up the books and decide for yourself.

Respectfully,

Rachel S.

Keith Pond said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Rachel. You'll notice, though, that in my post, I do not indict Potter personally. Since most critiques come from the Christian community, I thought this article interesting. My questions to those who have read it were sincere. My blog posts to Facebook, too, where the debate was most interesting.

Again, thanks for your thoughts.