Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I pledge...aw nuts!

Every morning to start our school day, my family recites the Pledge of Allegiance and prays together.  In recent months, we have added Scripture memorization, working on the Bible passage that our church is memorizing for 2010.  Being home from work during the morning a few weeks back, I joined in the morning rituals, and I must confess, my heart ached as I recited the Pledge.

After much consideration, might I recommend this minor modification to our pledge?
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America
And to the republic for which it stood
One nation under God, indivisible,
With liberty and justice for all.
In its present present-tense state, it's untrue.

Most schools no longer say the Pledge.  Soon many families will stop reciting the Pledge but for a far different reason; it has been rendered meaningless.  And a very sad day that will be.

No comments: