Sunday, June 14, 2009

The God-shaped hole

There is perhaps no greater evidence for the existence of God than the deep longing of the human heart for that supernatural relationship. How is then, when man recognizes that space as "God-shaped" or "God-sized," they try to fill it with anything but?

Parade Magazine, the circular stuck in most Sunday newspapers, carried a cover story about the very talented and very troubled actor, Shia LeBeouf. During the interview (here), he lamented,
"Most actors on most days don't think they're worthy. I have no idea where this insecurity comes from, but it's a God-sized hole. If I knew, I'd fill it, and I'd be on my way."
Mr. LeBeouf arrived at the interview by bicycle having had his license suspended after an alcohol-related crash that left his hand mangled. Later on he puzzled,
"Why did the love of my life and I break up?...I have no answers to anything. None. Why am I an alcoholic? I haven't a **** clue! What is life about? I don't know."
And so, in despair and frustration the actor buries himself in his work, into booze, and into women. Fame's highways are littered with such talents. Monroe. Joplin. Phoenix. Morrison. Cobain. Ledger. Belushi. Presley. Will LeBeouf follow this reckless roadmap?

Or will he hearken to the One that calls to His creatures that He might bring them restoration? Mr. LeBeouf might try filling the hole in his soul with the Piece that fits.

No comments: