Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Blade 32

Callsigns used by USAF aircraft are a wonder of originality and irony. Some make sense ("Blade" for the T-6, a propeller-driven pilot training aircraft at Sheppard AFB) while others will leave you scratching your head (AWOL for the T-38's at the now closed Williams AFB). Some reference the squadron ("Hound," the callsign of the commander of 524th Fighter Squadron, "The Hounds of Heaven") and in others the base is acknownledged ("Shepp" the cross-country callsign for T-6's at Sheppard AFB).
There's another part to the callsign. A number. That number is usually two digits. To external agencies, I was Scud 01, but within the flight I was simply Scud 1.

As I have taught now in the T-6 simulator for the past seven and a half years, the callsign is pretty benign. Blade for missions where the student is with an instructor, Turbo if solo, Lucky if it's his very first solo, and Ally, Shepp, Dicey or Madcat if the mission is off-station. Really, there is little I can do to spice up the callsign; it is what it is.

But unbeknownst to all of my students, every callsign I use contains an Easter egg. Today was the last time my student will be "Blade 31." You see, my student's have been Blade 31, Turbo 31, Lucky 31, etc. for the past year. Tomorrow my student will be "Blade 32" or "Turbo 32." They will have the 32 suffix to their callsign for the next year when the have a mission with me. Why?

Tomorrow my bride and I will have been married for 32 years.

Each time I write "Blade 31" or "Blade 32" on the whiteboard, I am reminded of the commitment I made 32 years ago, I am reminded of the one who has invested so much that I might serve our nation for 24 years and continue serving our country by teaching our nation's newest pilots what it means to be a military aviator.

Without the sacrifice, investment and love of that treasure, there would be no "Blade 32." When I write "Blade 32" on the whiteboard to prepare for the simulator mission, I thank God for how he has blessed me, and I think of my precious bride.

I love you, babe.

No comments: