Thursday, April 19, 2012

The godly example of Theoden King

For reasons various, a fictional character has preoccupied my mind a lot lately. In truth, I think about him often for, you see, Theoden King, sovereign of Rohan, creature of J.R.R. Tolkien's fertile imagination, brought to life in The Two Towers and The Return of the King, resonates in my soul.


"How juvenile!" some may exclaim. "Why don't you spend a bit more time in reality than in Middle Earth?" others might muse. Perhaps I should, but I have always been captivated by fiction. It took the likes of Francis Schaeffer, C.S. Lewis, and G.K. Chesterton to help me understand that maybe I wasn't just locked in my childhood, that perhaps the deep truths of reality are often best conveyed and digested through stories.

In no other character of fact or fiction can I feel the heartbeat, understand the mind, or wear the skin more than I can with Theoden. I am not him. I long to be him. And perhaps that says too much.

As he has filled my mind of late, my soul has been stirred by his godly example.

REDEMPTION

When we first happen upon this man, his kingdom is in disarray, his friends have left him, and he himself has grown gnarled and grotesque by the poison in his soul. He cannot escape nor does he want to. He rots in his oblivion. He hearkens the banter of the demon in his ear.

One day, the filth is driven from his soul, not by his hand at all, completely through the work of another, one who has already died that others might live (Gandalf at the Bridge of Khazad Dum). Theoden did not want it, did not deserve it, nor could he accomplish it, but redemption came to him nonetheless.

And what of me? While I was still a sinner, while I stood an enemy of God, while I was without power, Christ died for me.  Consider Romans 5.
"While we were still weak...while we were still sinners...while we were enemies..." (vv. 6, 8, 10)
REALIZATION

The transformation is immediate. He can see with clarity. As one who has woken from a nightmare, only to find it wasn't a nightmare but reality, Theoden comes to terms with the consequences of what he has done.

At the same time, there is no condemnation from the one who brought redemption.
Gandalf:  "Breathe the free air again, my friend."
Paul said, "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" (Romans 8:1) and "The old is gone, the new has come" (2 Corinthians 5:17).

In response to this new life, this fresh opportunity, Theoden purges the poison from his presence. Grabbing Grima Wormtongue by the scruff of his coat, Theoden casts him from his court and down its steps bidding him never to darken the halls of his home again.

For the believer, we are to be transformed by the renewing of our minds (Romans 12:2), and we are to abhor what is evil and to hold fast what is good (12:9). With eyes to see, I cannot coddle what corrupted me in the past. I cannot call good what God calls evil. With the power and strength that comes through the Holy Spirit, I must be holy as my Lord is holy (1 Peter 1:14-16).

Be gone, Grima!

RESPONSIBILITY

Gandalf and company redeemed Theoden for a reason. The free air breathes well and Rohan could not be a nicer place to live, but dark clouds demanded that he consider his people. He was saved for a purpose. Not knowing the outcome, not knowing if he would succeed, he began to lead his people away from Rohan toward the fortress of Helm's Deep. They could not stay or they would surely die.

God has not saved me to stagnate in my salvation. Yes, the free air of not being enslaved to sin is good. Certainly, knowing that I have eternal life, that I am a child of the King with a place in heaven is great. But God did not save me to sit. "I know the plans I have for you," he says. Lest you suggest that is "Old" Testament, Paul makes plain that God crafts his workmanship upon us that we might set about working upon the tasks he has ordained for us (Ephesians 2:10).

Regarding the work, we have no promise regarding its outcome in this life. We must not lose heart in our labors (Galatians 6:9) but must trust that he will complete the work that he has begun in our lives (Philippians 1:6). And so we put our hand to the tasks that he has laid before us.

DOUBT and DESPAIR

"Who am I Gamling?" Theoden mumbles amidst the numbness of the pending battle. Against the hordes and with so few, the man sees himself as but a man.

Gamling encourages the one who should be encouraging him, "You are our king."

Theoden further sighs, "And do you trust your king?"


Oh, the ache! Who am I, Lord? What am I?

The spiritual will rightly counter that Christ has won the victory. Ultimate good will triumph for it has triumphed. On these things we must hold fast. Yes, all this is true, but life overwhelms. Darkness runs ashore like a tsunami with unstoppable speed and force. Have you never felt that despair? There are days when life crushes like a refrigerator on the shoulders. Perhaps on that day you can be Gamling to another man and simply say, "You are our king (or boss or friend or brother). Your men will follow you to whatever end," and thereby spur him to take the next step with legs seemingly crippled with care.

GRACE

After Helm's Deep, the people of Rohan could return to their home. They celebrated victory, celebrated valor, and mourned their dead. And yet darkness still remained. Gondor, the country far to the east, stood toe to toe with evil and needed Rohan's help, but Gondor had not come to the aid of Rohan.
"Where was Gondor when the Westfold fell? Where was Gondor when our enemies closed in around us?" Theoden seethes through clenched teeth.
Perhaps nothing stings so deeply as being forsaken by a friend and a brother. Perhaps nothing festers and gives birth to bitterness as such things. How well Bernard Hill portrays this in the film as he inhabits the role of Rohan's king! In his bitterness, he would not go to the aid of Gondor.

Then it becomes plain that Gondor's need is dire and that if that country falls, nothing stands between Rohan and the tidal wave of darkness. He must go. But he does not just go. No, he musters as large a force as he can to come to the aid of his brothers.

As a Christ-follower, I must follow Christ. Consider the example of the one who was forsaken by those closest to him, by those who denied him and fled from him, those who lied about even knowing him. Notice that Paul specifies in his description of the resurrection in 1 Corinthians 15:5 that he appeared especially to Peter, the most egregious betrayer of the lot (apart from Judas), Jesus' closest friend and most vehement denier. We see part of that love and restoration fleshed out in John 21:15-19.

Maybe you have been stung by close friends. If the former, lavish grace upon those who wounded you deeply. Extend your love to them, fight for them, because they may not know how or have the strength to reach out to you. If you don't know how to reach out, if you don't think you have the strength, trust the God who gives strength and when the fires of Minas Tirith are lit, you can come to the aid of your friend.

SACRIFICE

Courage. Doing what must be done amidst certain doom. Standing on the deck of Titanic with your violin and three other men playing "Nearer My God to Thee" providing comfort to those facing death when you needed comfort yourself. Theoden knows their demise is certain as he crests the hill of Pelennor Fields, and yet ride they must. I weep even as I write.
"Forth, and fear no darkness! Arise! Arise, Riders of Theoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword day... a red day... ere the sun rises! ... Ride now!... Ride! Ride to ruin and the world's ending! Death!"
And me? What of me? I hide my face in shame at such courage. With the freedom given to him, Theoden King turns right around and lays it down for others. Had he chosen not to go and had he stayed in the comfort of Rohan, he would have been destroyed by the coming darkness. As it is, his valiant charge into the face of certain death cost him his life but purchased enough time for the tide to turn and victory to be won, a victory he did not get to experience in this life. His final words,
 "I go to my fathers, in whose mighty company I shall not now feel ashamed."
One has purchased all for me. How can I not follow where he leads? How can I not go where he directs? How can I not trust him to bring about his good purpose? And yet I hesitate. I falter. In my weakness, he comes alongside and lifts me up and carries me on.

Dear God, let me run my race to please you. Help my crippled legs and my cowardly heart. Let me hold your sword with my weakened hands, two if need be. Spend me as you see fit. Use me wherever you will. Let me say with Paul, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." If necessary, let me lay down my life for my friends.

Let me lay down my life for my King.

Just a character of fiction? Wrought in the mind of John Ronald Reuel Tolkien. Brought to life by Bernard Hill under the direction of Peter Jackson. The godly example of Theoden King.

1 comment:

Sam Starkey said...

Well said, brother.