Saturday, August 16, 2008

A game of inches

Michael Phelps, left, touching the wall. Milorad Cavic, right, still reaching.
(Photo by Sports Illustrated)

"Never, never, never give up!"

Winston Churchill during the Battle of Britain

If you ever thought, "There's just no way..."

If you ever felt, "It's not worth the effort..."

If the muscles in your body cried, "We're going to explode..."

If your brain has concrete argumentation for why you will not win...

Remember Michael Phelps' final lunge during the 100 meter Butterfly during the 2008 Olympics. Or remember the body length lead that Jason Lezak overcame to during the 4x100 meter Freestyle Relay.

It's worth gold!
Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

1 Corinthians 9:25-27

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw that race last night while at Old Chicago. Couldn't believe he pulled it out.

Also, I'm kinda entertained by the fact that almost half of America's golds thus far have been won by one guy.

-JP

Jennifer said...

GREAT picture. As I saw it happen, and rewinded it dozens of times on my DVR, I almost believed it was rigged. It really didn't look like he had won. This is a great pic of the truth! Thanks for posting it!